Anticosti Deer Hunting - Frequently Asked Questions
Hunting Season - Length of the Packages
- The 2013 deer hunting season will start August 25 with the Royal Combo and end December 16 with the Winter Hunt.
- The length of the package could be either two, four or six days of hunting with one additional night on Anticosti.
- The two day hunting packages (Brochure, page 3) include meals, the flight from Mont-Joli, one guide for 8 hunters,
and lodging in Port-Menier. This package is offered in September and October only.
- The four day hunting packages are available in both the American or European plan which includes a guide.
- The six day hunting packages (from Saturday to Saturday) are available as the American & European plan at the
- Jupiter 12 Lodge, with the Royal Combo ( salmon fishing and deer hunting, Brochure page 11)
- Renard-Ruisseau de la Chute, Cormoran and La Loutre as the European plan (see Brochure 2013, page 6)
- A package with one ATV per hunter is available with the American plan at Chicotte la Mer (four days of hunting)
and with the European plan at Renard-Ruisseau de la Chute and Cormoran (six days of hunting)
Packages with Guide - American Plan - European Plan
- Three guided package options are available (See 2013 Brochure):
1 -1 guide / 2 hunters at Jupiter 12, American plan. Meals, wine and alcoholic beverages included (page 10 et 11)
2 -1 guide / 4 hunters (European and American plan, page 4, 5, 6 and 12)
3 -1 guide / 8 hunters (American plan, page 3)
- The American plan includes all meals and is available at the following lodges:
Jupiter12 (page10,11), Vauréal, Chicotte and Mcdonald (page 5). See Lodges & Cabins to find them.
- The lodges offer the following facilities:
- Meals, rooms with 2 single beds, bed linens, dining room,daily housekeeping service, full bathrooms on the same floor,
lounge with fireplace and easy chairs. (Jupiter 12 is the only lodge were alcohol is included)
- The European plan with guide (meals not included) is available at the following cabins:
-Jupiter la Mer, La Loutre, Chicotte 1 et 2, Martin la Mer, Lac Martin, Brick la Roche, Galiote 1, 2 et 3 (page 4)
- Renard, Ruisseau de la Chute and Cormoran (page 6). See Lodges & Cabins to find them.
- The cabins offer the following facilities:
- bedrooms with 2 or 3 single beds, dining room, stove with oven, fridge,
dishes, cookware, full bathroom,
running water, electricity or propane.
- The Royal Combo (page 11) is the only package where you can hunt for deer and fish for Atlantic Salmon and
sea trout at Sepaq Anticosti. It is available from August 25 to September 20 in 2013. Eight anglers / hunters share the
whole network of theJupiter River and the Jupiter 12 territory. The package offers 6 full days of hunting and fishing
and 7 nights at the Jupiter 12 lodge.
- Each lodge or cabin has its own meat house to store your deer
What does the guide do?
- Your guide will meet you at the Port-Menier airport. He will drive you to Sepaq Anticosti's office to get your hunting
and to the grocery store in Port-Menier to get your groceries, beer, wine and alcoholic beverages.
(if you choose the European plan)
- Your guide will drive you to your lodge or cabin and will assist you at the shooting range for a check up on your gun.
- Each guide is equipped with a 4x4 double cab truck, a CB radio and an ATV which will be usefull to drive you around in
and get your deer out of the woods.
- Having a great knowledge of the hunting territory, the deer habits and the hunting tactics,
your guide will be able to put you
in the right spot on the first hour of your hunting trip. Thus, you will be placed in strategic spots and your chances of seeing
deer will be maximized.
- Your guide will accompany you in the woods (on a rotation basis) and will show you how to still hunt "The Anticosti Way".
- He will help you to look for a wounded deer if necessary, and will be happy to share his knowledge while doing so.
- Your guide will skin your deer, quarter them, take care of your trophies (antlers and capes)
and get everything ready for your return travel.
- Note that the guide eats and sleeps in separate living quarters close to your cabin.
Single hunter or groups less than four are welcome
- You don't need to have a group of four hunters to book a hunt on Anticosti
- If you are alone, we will place you in a lodge or a cabin with other hunters. We frequently see hunters rebooking together
the year after
for the same lodge or cabin.
- So, if your group is less than four hunters, we will team you up with other whitetail deer hunting enthusiasts.
Packages without Guide
- The packages without a guide are offered for Quebec resident only. For most of those packages, you have to be
selected in a random drawing to participate, except the package on page 7 in the brochure for Lac Huard and Lac Croche
- You also need to have a group of four hunters in order to reserve this kind of hunt.
- The cabins available without guides with the random draw are: Rivière à L'Huile, Anse Castor et Tête de Jupiter 1 et 2
- The rustic camps are Beacon et de l'Ours ,
near the l'Ours River. They are located in Baie de La Tour sector.
Family Hunt - Fifth Hunter Free - Minimum Age for Hunting
- Between October 5 and 18, your spouse or kids between 12 and 21 are half price, see page 13 on the brochure.
- Fifth hunter free, in September and October, for all the European plan packages with guides
as well as the American plan at the Mcdonald lodge. The fifth hunter only needs to pay his airfare and hunting license.
- The minimum age to hunt in Quebec is 12. There is also a New Generation Special, see the brochure on page 13
Grocery Store in Port-Menier
- Hunters who choose the European plan have access to the grocery store on the Marché Richelieu banner in Port-Menier,
the only village on the island. It is complete with a butcher shop, bakery, and a good selection of fruit and vegetables.
- Beer wine and alcoholic beverages are available at the grocery store in Port-Menier. Prices are comparable to prices on
Borrow a rifle on Anticosti - Bow - Crossbow - Black Powder
- Bolt action 30-06 rifles with scopes are available by reservation from Sepaq Anticosti
- This no cost service was designed especially for foreign hunters who do not want to travel with weapons
and for the new hunters who do not have a big game rifle.
- There are no specific seasons to hunt with a bow, crossbow or black powder on Anticosti. They are allowed
in all the sectors, during the three months of the hunting season.
Did you know that ?
- It is possible to make more than one hunting trip to Anticosti in the same season. In fact, for the second trip,
the flight from
Mont-Joli will be free of charge.
- Memory cards containing maps of the territories and hunting trails are now available for your Garmin GPS at a nominal fee.
- Sector maps are downloadable from this Map Library . There is even a Google Earth link there to see the hunting sectors
in three dimensions. Only the deer are missing…
- If you are a resident of Québec, your provincial hunting permit for small game is valid in Anticosti.
Spruce Grouse as well as hare are plentifull... unless the foxes are too numerous in the area…
- Sepaq Anticosti bought a forest chipper in 2011 which was able to make 2 km of new trails per day.
Many Ways of Hunting
- Even if your physical condition is not 100%, your guide will find a way to show you some deer
- With an average of more than 8 square miles of territory per hunter, still hunting is the favorite method for many hunters.
- Each territory has a vast network of hunting trails favorable for this method.
- Several Anticosti rivers are superb natural paths where one can walk miles in their beds.
- Hunting from a ground blind is also very popular. You will be placed, for a few hours, or longer if you wish, in closed
hiding places located at strategic places.
- Other types of blinds are also placed in several hot spots on the territories.
- If you can not walk easily or if the temperature is unfavorable, you will be able to travel comfortably and quietly in the truck
see several deer and foxes on the roads.
- Hunting from a canoe on the Jupiter 12 sector is also an option when the level of Jupiter River is adequate.
- Hunting with bow, crossbow or with a black powder rifle is permitted anytime on Anticosti island.
Part of the La Loutre sector
is designed especially for bow hunters.
Reserve your Flight to Anticosti at the same time as your hunt
- The plane is the only practical way to get to Anticosti island during the hunting season
- Seats on the flights chartered by Sepaq Anticosti are reserved at the same time the hunting trip is booked.
- The flights are from Mont-Joli ($545 + taxes), Quebec City or Montreal ($715 + taxes)
- Consult the Hunting Stay Guide for the schedules and the addresses of the various airports.
- Secure parking is offered at each of these airports for approximately $8.00 per day.
- The weight limit per passenger is 75 lbs, including your firearms.
- Each hunter can bring back two boxes of meat, the trophies, and luggage on the return flight.
- Your deer will be quartered and put in waxed boxes by your guide.
- Note that the Relais Nordik ferry goes to the island, but its schedule (weekly) does not correspond
with the hunting schedule.
Rates - Taxes - Hunting permit - Two deer per hunter
- Rates in the brochure do not include taxes and airfare (except for the packages on page 3 and
which includes the flight from Mont-Joli)
- The taxes are approximately 15% for a resident of Quebec and 12.75% for a non-resident
- The hunting license costs $66.28 for a resident of Quebec, and $358.53 for a non-resident (2013 rates)
- This license is specific to Anticosti and allows the harvest of two deer of either sex per hunter.
- A stop at the Sepaq's office in Port-Menier, will enable you to get this license.
Two Choices of Methods of payment
- A deposit of 10% per hunter is required at the time of the reservation. Within 30 days following the reservation, 20% of
of the stay is required. The balance is payable 90 days before the beginning of the stay
- Spread the payment of your voyage over several months without paying any interest. The monthly payments are determined
according to the number of months to come before the beginning of your 2013 stay..
- Cancellation insurance is recommended.Some credit cards offer this kind of insurance. Check the terms of your card.
- Note that Sepaq Anticosti will accept a substitute hunter any time if one must cancel his or her stay.
Reserve a hunt – Openings for 2013 - Order a brochure
- Just call me to reserve a hunt or get more specific information on a hunting trip
- The openings for the 2013 hunting season are now on line. Click here to see them
- Use this link if you wish to contact me by email
- To obtain a brochure by mail, consult the following page
René Bourque - Head Guide - Jupiter 12
Advisor - Hunting - Fishing - Summer Trip - Sepaq Anticosti
1-800-463-0863 ou direct 1-418-646-6987
All right reserved © 2013 René Bourque Anticostiphotos.com